Recently I have been hearing a lot of discussions about the “value” of Facebook likes, Real vs. Fake. As usual, almost all of what I hear is wrong so I decided to do this post to set things straight. Let me first begin by explaining the difference between a “real” like and a “fake” like. A so called “real” like is a like that is earned the “right” way… meaning that the like was completed by way of a real person who found real value in your site or post or page or whatever and decided to provide you with kudos by “liking” it…
Now on to the “fake” like; the fake like is really a like which is generated in whatever way apart from what I described above. There are a multitudes of numerous methods for getting a fake like, a lot of for this post, but below are a few:
1. Purchase like packages on microjob sites like Fiverr.com; you can get a few hundred to your few thousand. These likes are almost always generated with a bot (automated software program) that games Facebook security and erroneously adds dozens to 1000s of likes over days or weeks. The positive for this method is it is cheap… the negative is that bots can be sometimes be detected by Facebook security which can lead to your Facebook page being closed down. Recently Facebook announced it’s plans to ramp up detection, you can read a good article regarding it here.
2. Purchase likes from a microworker site. This process involves buying “credits” or “tokens” on sites like Welikehits.com. These websites allow you to setup an account with your Facebook profile then other individuals get credits by liking your page or sharing,etc. You pay from $5-$100 to purchase credits that you then “spend” when someone likes your page; you can buy several thousand credits for $10-$25 normally. The advantage of these sites is the fact real people who have real accounts are liking your page, not an automated script or bot… the negative would be that the way these likes come to you is via a gateway page having a set ip address… meaning that it must be quite simple for Facebook to inform these were bought, and so not count them.
Here are some of the advantages of fake likes:
1. Usage of Facebook Analytics. Facebook only enables you to the access the analytics part of your cpanel AFTER you reach 30 likes. By getting fake likes, you can access your data more quickly.
2. Use of Facebook vanity URL. Facebook lets you use a vanity URL only once you have 25 likes… the vanity URL is vital right from the start, it allows you to have facebook/yourkeyword again, fake likes offers you usage of this feature rapidly.
3. Nobody desires to like a page which includes zero likes… psychologically individuals are FAR more likely to click that like button if there are already several hundred or several thousand likes.
4. SEO value. Social signals are important to SEO right now… some say around 1/3 in the puzzle… regardless of what the amount really is, should you SEO you KNOW that things like followers,likes, etc play a crucial role in gfhisr your keywords on Google. In case you are unable to generate these social signals the “right” way, getting the fake ones is superior to nothing.